Dish components: Urad vada
Description: Ginger and garlic flavored black gram vada, served with plain yogurt | A speciality of the Northern part of Khandesh, this dish has the potential to pleasantly
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Preparation time (excluding prior preparation): 45 min
Serving: 10-12 portions
Ingredients: 2 cups black gram (urad daal), 1/2 inch ginger, 7-8 garlic cloves, 7-8 green chillies, 1 tsp red chili powder, 2 tsp cumin and coriander seed powder, 1/4 cup fresh coriander chopped, Salt, Vegetable oil for frying
- Wash urad daal clean and soak for 3-4 hours. Strain the water out.
- Transfer the daal in a stainless steel sifter and rub it against the mesh to remove the outer shell. Transfer the cleaned daal in another vessel.
- Wash and strain again.
- Grind the daal along with ginger, garlic, green chili and 1/2 tsp salt to form a paste. Do not add water.
- Transfer the ground paste to a vessel and add red chili powder, cumin and coriander seed powder and fresh coriander. Mix well.
- Lay a thick, wet cotton cloth on a chakla (or a flat surface).
- Take a handful of the mixture and flatten it on the wet cloth by hand.
- Heat some oil in a karhai to fry. Transfer the flattened dough in you hand and put it in hot oil to fry on high flame.
- Once the vada starts rising, flip it and reduce flame to simmer. Fry until golden brown.
- Serve hot with curd.
Notes: If it does not rise, salt may be lacking. Add more as per preference