Dish: Gavhachi Kheer (Wheat Porridge)
Description: Wheat porridge in jaggery, laced with nutmeg, poppy seeds and dry coconut slices | One of the favorites of Northern Khandesh, this is one dessert you can eat guilt-free!
Level of Difficulty: High
Preparation time (excluding prior preparation): 60 min
2 cups wheat
2 cups jaggery
1/4 cup dry coconut sliced
1/4 tbsp poppy seeds roasted
Serve with: Milk & Ghee
- Soak wheat grains for 10 minutes, then strain off the water
- Dehusk the wheat in a food processor at slow speed so the grains don’t break. Keep shuffling grains intermittently.
- Tie-up the grains in a muslin cloth for half hour
- Spread the grains out to dry for 2-3 hours
- Remove any remaining husk by rubbing and winnowing and soak in water for another 2-3 hours
- Wash the grains, then add 8 cups water and boil in pressure cooker on high flame. After 4 whistles, simmer on low flame for 10 minutes (Number of whistels may vary depending on the pressure cooker)
- Mash the boiled grains until coarse. Do not make a paste. Add some milk if required
- Transfer in a vessel. Add granulated jaggery, 4 cups water, poppy seeds, dry coconut and a pinch of salt and bring to boil
- Grind nutmeg along with 2 tsp sugar to powder and add to vessel. (Do not boil once nutmeg is added). Turn off the heat and serve.