(Eggplants stuffed with a mixture of peanuts, dry cocunut and spices, served with layered chapati I A Maharashtrian favorite, this dish has many variations across the regions.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Preparation time (excluding prior preparation): 30 min
1/2 cup shelled peanuts
1/4 cup dry coconut (sliced)
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 kg garden egg (brinjals)
10 cloves garlic
1/2 cup freshly chopped coriander
1 tsp Khandeshi garam masala
2 tsp cumin and coriander seed powder
2 tsp red chili powder
- Roast peanuts, dry coconut and sesame seeds on a pan and keep aside.
- Wash garden eggs and make 2 slits forming a cross, keeping the tip intact.
- Apply some salt across the cut surface and keep aside.
- Grind roasted peanuts, dry coconut and sesame seeds. Add garlic, Khandeshi garam masala, cumin and coriander seed powder, red chili powder and little salt and grind again.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl and add fresh coriander and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Stuff the mixture in the cuts on the eggplant. Add little water to the leftover mixutre to form a paste.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds, then the leftover mixture with water and mix well.
- Add the stuffed eggplants and cook for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add hot water as per required thickness and shut the pressure cooker lid. Cook at high pressure for 1 whistle on low flame.